1917 is a 2019 war film directed by Sam Mendes. The cast of the film consists of George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott, Richard Madden, Claire Duburcq, Colin Firth, and Benedict Cumberbatch.
The film was released on December 25, 2019 by Universal Pictures.
Plot[edit | edit source]
At the height of the First World War during Spring 1917 in northern France, two young British soldiers, Schofield (George MacKay) and Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman), are given a seemingly impossible mission to deliver a message which will warn of an ambush during one of the skirmishes soon after the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line during Operation Alberich. The soldiers race against time, crossing enemy territory to deliver the warning and keep a British battalion of 1,600 men, which includes Blake's brother, from walking into a deadly trap. The pair must give their all to accomplish their mission by surviving the war to end all wars.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- George MacKay as Lance Corporal Schofield
- Dean-Charles Chapman as Lance Corporal Blake
- Mark Strong as Captain Smith
- Andrew Scott as Lieutenant Leslie
- Richard Madden as Lieutenant Blake
- Claire Duburcq as Lauri
- Colin Firth as General Erinmore
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Colonel Mackenzie
- Daniel Mays as Sergeant Sanders
- Adrian Scarborough as Major Hepburn
- Jamie Parker as Lieutenant Richards
- Michael Jibson as Lieutenant Hutton
- Richard McCabe as Colonel Collins
- Nabhaan Rizwan as Sepoy
- Michael Cornelius as Private Cornelius