When Selina D'Arcey (Elizabeth Hartman), a blind young white woman, befriends Gordon Ralfe (Sidney Poitier), a black office worker, their budding relationship eventually leads to romance. However, once Selina's insensitive and abusive mother, Rose-Ann (Shelley Winters), finds out about Gordon, she becomes determined to keep the couple apart.
With its stirring story of interracial love, this thoughtful film fittingly reflects the civil rights movement of the era.
- Sidney Poitier as Gordon Ralfe
- Elizabeth Hartman as Selina D'Arcey
- Shelley Winters as Rose-Ann D'Arcey
- Wallace Ford as Ole Pa
- Ivan Dixon as Mark Ralfe
- Elisabeth Fraser as Sadie
- John Qualen as Mr. Faber
- Kelly Flynn as Yanek Faber
- Debi Storm as Selina, age 5
- Renata Vanni as Mrs. Favaloro
- Saverio LoMedico as Mr. Favaloro
- Casey Merriman as Casey M