"A contemporary story of an international five-ship fleet engaged in a very dynamic, violent and intense battle against an alien race is known as The Regents. They come from a world similar to ours, and aren’t actually looking to take over humanity or the planet Earth. Instead, they’re on a mission to build a power source in the ocean, which is where they come in contact with a navy fleet. The film will also show us both sides of the story—from the aliens’ perspective, as well as the humans." - Production Weekly
- Taylor Kitsch as Lt. Alex Hopper, a Naval officer assigned to the USS John Paul Jones.
- Brooklyn Decker as Sam Shane, a physical therapist and Hopper's fiancée.
- Alexander Skarsgård as Stone Hopper, Hopper's older brother, Commanding Officer of the USS Sampson.
- Rihanna as Petty Officer (GM2) Raikes, Hopper's best friend, crewmate and a weapons specialist on the USS John Paul Jones.
- Liam Neeson as Admiral Shane, Hopper and Stone's superior, Sam's father.
- Tadanobu Asano as Unknown
- Jeremy Renner was cast but dropped out to do Paul Thomas Anderson's religious movie, and was replaced by Taylor Kitsch.
- The movie is based on the Milton Bradley game "Battleship" that has been manufactured since 1931. The original paper and pencil version of the game predates World War I.
- Some of the artillery used in the film is shaped like the pegs used in the game.
- Teresa Palmer and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley auditioned for the role of Sam.
- Though Battleships are featured prominently during this film's naval combat sequences, in reality Battleships have been decommissioned from all navies in the world since the early 1990s, as they proved to be too costly and impractical for modern warfare.
- This was singer Rihanna's feature film/acting debut.