Chasing Mavericks is a 2012 biographical film co-directed by Curtis Hanson and Michael Apted about the life of American surfer Jay Moriarity.
Based on the inspirational true story of surfing icon Jay Moriarty, "Chasing Mavericks" tells the story of a young man's quest to surf Northern California's most dangerous wave, and the local legend who takes him under his wing. What begins as a mentorship turns into a unique lifelong bond, as the two unlikely friends discover that there is nothing more powerful than pushing your limits and chasing a nearly impossible dream.
- Jonny Weston as Jay Moriarity
- Gerard Butler as Frosty Hesson
- Elisabeth Shue as Christy Moriarity
- Abigail Spencer as Brenda Hesson
- Leven Rambin as Kim
- Taylor Handley as Sonny
- Scott Eastwood as Gordy
- Greg Long (surfer) as Mag 1
- Peter Mel as Mag 2
- Zach Wormhoudt as Mag 3
- The film went into production in October 2011 with a scheduled release date of 26 October 2012.
- On December 19, Gerard Butler was hospitalised briefly after being injured during a surfing stunt.