Deep Water is an American psychological thriller film directed by Adrian Lyne, based on the novel of the same name by Patricia Highsmith, from a screenplay by Zach Helm and Sam Levinson. The film stars Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas, with Tracy Letts, Rachel Blanchard, Lil Rel Howery, Finn Wittrock, Jacob Elordi, Kristen Connolly and Dash Mihok appearing in supporting roles, and marks Lyne's return to filmmaking after a 20-year absence since his last film Unfaithful (2002).
The film is scheduled to be released on Hulu on March 18, 2022, following several delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
A married couple who’ve fallen out of love with each other begin playing deadly mind games against one another that begins seeing those around them dying.
- Ben Affleck as Vic Van Allen
- Ana de Armas as Melinda Van Allen
- Tracy Letts
- Lil Rel Howery
- Rachel Blanchard
- Dash Mihok
- Jacob Elordi
- Kristen Connolly
- Jade Fernandez
- Finn Wittrock
- Michael Braun as Jeff Peterson
The project began development in 2013, with Adrian Lyne set to direct and Fox 2000 Pictures set to finance. Fox 2000 sold the rights to New Regency in 2018. In August 2019, the project saw new developments; Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas agreed to star, with Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures agreed to handle the distribution via their 20th Century Fox label. In October 2019, Tracy Letts and Rachel Blanchard joined the cast of the film.
Filming began in New Orleans on November 4, 2019, with the additions of Dash Mihok, Lil Rel Howery, Jacob Elordi, Kristen Connolly, Jade Fernandez and Finn Wittrock to the cast. In December 2019, Michael Braun joined the cast of the film.
Deep Water was originally scheduled to be released on November 13, 2020, but was delayed to August 13, 2021, and again to January 14, 2022. On December 9, 2021, it was taken off the release schedule. Four days later, it was reported that the film could move to a Hulu-exclusive release in the United States and an Amazon Prime Video–exclusive release internationally. On February 14, 2022, it was announced that the film would be released on Hulu on March 18, 2022.
- DP Eigil Bryld Teams With Director Scott Z. Burns, Actor Adam Driver To Tell A Hero’s Story In "The Report".
- Fastlane NextGen: Initial Certification Search (Type "Deep Water" in the search box). Retrieved on May 10, 2020.
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (August 1, 2019). New Regency Bringing Adrian Lyne Back To Directing With ‘Deep Water;’ Ben Affleck, Ana de Armas In Talks For Patricia Highsmith Adaptation. Penske Media Corporation.
- Template:Cite magazine
- Michael, Brendan (October 23, 2019). Exclusive: Tracy Letts and Rachel Blanchard Join Ben Affleck in Thriller ‘Deep Water’. Retrieved on October 23, 2019.
- Current Productions.
- ‘Deep Water’: Lil Rel Howery, Jacob Elordi & Dash Mihok Among Cast To Join Ben Affleck & Ana De Armas In Adrian Lyne Thriller, Cameras Roll. Penske Media Corporation (November 14, 2019).
- Finn Wittrock Cast In New Regency Thriller ‘Deep Water’ Starring Ben Affleck. Penske Media Corporation (November 25, 2019).
- N'Duka, Amanda (December 13, 2019). Lodric D. Collins To Play Smokey Robinson In Aretha Franklin Biopic ‘Respect’; Vincent Pastore Joins 'The Birthday Cake'; Michael Braun In 'Deep Water'. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved on December 13, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (September 23, 2020). 'Black Widow' Jumps To Summer 2021 Spurring Marvel Pics Release Date Shift; 'West Side Story' Delayed A Year; 'Soul' Stays Theatrical.
- Rubin, Rebecca (March 23, 2021). 'Black Widow,' 'Cruella' to Debut on Disney Plus and in Theaters as Disney Shifts Dates for Seven Films.
- Welk, Brian. "'Deep Water' With Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas Pulled From Theatrical Release", TheWrap, December 9, 2021.
- Palmer, Roger. ""Deep Water" Moving To Hulu", What's on Disney Plus, December 13, 2021.
- Sharf, Zack (February 14, 2022). 'Deep Water' Teaser Trailer: Ben Affleck, Ana de Armas' Erotic Thriller Debuts on Hulu in March.
- "Deep Water on 20th Century Studios". Filmy Rating. Retrieved February 22, 2022.