Dolittle is an American fantasy comedy adventure film directed by Stephen Gaghan, and written by Gaghan and Thomas Shepherd. It is based on the character Doctor Dolittle created by Hugh Lofting, and is primarily based on The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle. The film stars Robert Downey Jr. as the title character. The film will be released on January 17, 2020 under distribution by Universal Pictures, making it the first film based on Doctor Dolittle to not be distributed by 20th Century Fox.
- Robert Downey Jr. as Dr. John Dolittle
- Antonio Banderas as Rassouli
- Michael Sheen as Mudfly
- Harry Collett as Tommy Stubbins
- Jim Broadbent
- Jessie Buckley
- Tom Holland as Jip, a dog
- Rami Malek as Chee-Chee, a gorilla
- Emma Thompson as Polynesia, a parrot
- Ralph Fiennes as Barry, a tiger
- Selena Gomez as Betsy, a giraffe
- Kumail Nanjiani as Plimpton, an ostrich
- Octavia Spencer as Dab-Dab, a duck
- John Cena as Yoshi, a polar bear
- Craig Robinson as Fleming, a mouse
- Marion Cotillard as Tutu, a fox
- Carmen Ejogo as Regine, a lioness
- Frances de la Tour as Ginko-Who-Soars
On March 20, 2017, it was announced that Robert Downey Jr. would star in the feature adaptation of The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle. In December 2017, Harry Collett and Jim Broadbent were cast. In February 2018, Antonio Banderas and Michael Sheen were cast in live action roles while Tom Holland, Emma Thompson, Ralph Fiennes, and Selena Gomez were cast to voice animals in the film. In March 2018, Kumail Nanjiani, Octavia Spencer, John Cena, Rami Malek, Craig Robinson, Marion Cotillard, Frances de la Tour and Carmen Ejogo joined the voice cast.
Principal production commenced mid-February in 2018. Live action scenes began filming in Kirkby Lonsdale, Cumbria in May 2018, with further location filming at South Forest, Windsor Great Park and on the Menai Suspension Bridge in North West Wales, in June 2018.
The film is scheduled to be released on January 17, 2020 by Universal Pictures. It was previously scheduled for an April 12, 2019 release, and before that for May 24, 2019 release, but the studio had to change the date because it was opening against Disney's Star Wars: Episode IX
- The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle on IMDb