An office employee and a soap salesman build a global organization to help vent male aggression.
The Narrator (Edward Norton) is the discontented protagonist of the film who is sick of his job and his life. He begins attending support groups for people with terminal afflictions and learns that letting his guard down to complete strangers is very therapeutic. After the dissolute Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter) starts showing up at his support group meetings, and the stranger dynamic is ruined, The Narrator is again unable to escape the limitations of his own character flaws. As a defense mechanism his personality splits and Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt), who is everything The Narrator wishes he was, springs to life. "Together" they discover a new type of support group when they start an underground streetfighting movement called Fight Club. This movement eventually morphs into Project Mayhem, which quickly becomes very dangerous and out of control.
Throughout most of the story, The Narrator does not know that Tyler Durden is actually him, and he becomes involved in a twisted relationship with Marla Singer in which he is both jealous of and disgusted by himself.
1st rule: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.
2nd rule: YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB.
3rd rule: If someone yells "stop," goes limp, taps out - the fight is over.
4th rule: Only two guys to a fight.
5th rule: One fight at a time.
6th rule: No shirts, no shoes.
7th rule: Fights will go on as long as they have to.
8th rule: If this is your first night at FIGHT CLUB, you HAVE to fight.
- Edward Norton as the Narrator
- Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden
- Helena Bonham Carter as Marla Singer
- Meat Loaf as Robert "Bob" Paulson
- Jared Leto as Angel Face
- Zach Grenier as Richard Chesler
- Thom Gossom Jr. as Detective Stern
- Bob Stephenson as an airport security officer
- Joon B. Kim as Raymond K. Hessel
- Peter Iacangelo as Lou
- David Andrews as Thomas
- Tim de Zarn as co-worker
- Ezra Buzzington as co-worker
- David Lee Smith as co-workerer
- Richmond Arquette as doctor.
- Holt McCallany as member of Project Mayhem
- Eion Bailey as member of Project Mayhem
- Paul Carafotes as member of Project Mayhem
- Mark Fite as member of Project Mayhem
- Michael Shamus Wiles as member of Project Mayhem
- Stuart Blumberg and Matt Winston play people harassed by the group.
- Leonard Termo, Van Quattro, Markus Redmond, and Michael Girardin appear as members of law enforcement