Gangster Squad is an crime film directed by Ruben Fleischer, from a screenplay written by Will Beall, starring Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling, Nick Nolte, Emma Stone, and Sean Penn. The film was originally set to be released September 7, 2012, but in the wake of the 2012 Aurora shooting, the film was bumped to a January 11, 2013 release date by Warner Bros. Pictures.
Los Angeles, 1949. Ruthless, Brooklyn-born mob king Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn) runs the show in this town, reaping the ill-gotten gains from the drugs, the guns, the prostitutes and--if he has his way--every wire bet placed west of Chicago. And he does it all with the protection of not only his own paid goons, but also the police and the politicians who are under his control. It's enough to intimidate even the bravest, street-hardened cop...except, perhaps, for the small, secret crew of LAPD outsiders led by Sgt. John O'Mara (Josh Brolin) and Jerry Wooters (Ryan Gosling), who come together to try to tear Cohen's world apart. "The Gangster Squad" is a colorful retelling of events surrounding the LAPD's efforts to take back their nascent city from one of the most dangerous mafia bosses of all time.
- Sean Penn as Mickey Cohen
- Ryan Gosling as Sgt. Jerry Wooters
- Josh Brolin as John O'Mara
- Giovanni Ribisi as Conway Keeler
- Nick Nolte as Bill Parker
- Emma Stone as Grace Faraday
- Michael Peña as Navidad Ramirez
- Anthony Mackie as Coleman Harris
- Robert Patrick as Max Kennard
- Frank Grillo as Jimmy Reagan
- Mireille Enos as Connie O'Mara
- James Carpinello as Johnny Stompanato