Ice Age is a 2002 American computer-animated buddy comedy drama adventure film directed by Carlos Saldanha and Chris Wedge from a story by Michael J. Wilson. It was produced by Blue Sky Studios and distributed by 20th Century Fox. The film features the voices of Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary and Chris Wedge and was nominated at the 75th Academy Awards for best animated feature. It focus on a grumpy mammoth named Manny, a talkative and lazy ground sloth named Sid and a sinister sabertooth tiger Diego trying to bring back a human baby to his tribe.
Despite it was well welcomed from film critics, the film was widly positively welcomed from audience that praised its mature themes, story, its characters, the voice cast performance (especially those of Leguizamo and Leary), Newman's musical score, message and the climax. It was also a box office success by grossing over $383 million, starting the Ice Age franchise. It was followed by four sequels, Ice Age: The Meltdown in 2006, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs in 2009, Ice Age: Continental Drift in 2012 and Ice Age: Collision Course on 2016, four short films, Gone Nutty on 2003, No Time for Nuts on 2006, Surviving Sid on 2008 and Scrat: Spaced Out on 2016, and two television specials, Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas on 2011 and Ice Age: The Great Egg-Scapade on 2016. A spin-off film, titled Ice Age: Adventures of Buck Wild, will be released on 15 March 2022 (the 20th anniversary of the film).
Plot[edit | edit source]
|Spoiler warning: The following contains plot details about|
the entire movie.
A sabertooth squirrel named Scrat is trying to find a place to store his prized acorn. Eventually, as he tries to stomp it into the ground, he causes a large crack in the ground that extends for miles and miles and sets off a large avalanche. He barely escapes, but finds himself stepped on by a herd of prehistoric animals ending up to being flattened under a female Macrauchenia's foot that steps on him at every step she makes, much to Scrat's dismay.
The animals are trying to avoid the ice age by migrating south. Sid, a clumsy ground sloth left behind by his family, decides to move on by himself but is attacked by two Brontops whom he angered. Sid is soon saved by Manfred ("Manny"), an agitated mammoth who fights them off and is heading north. Not wanting to be alone and unprotected, Sid follows Manny. Meanwhile, Soto, the leader of a Smilodon pride, wants revenge on a group of humans by eating the chief's baby son, Roshan, alive. Soto leads a raid on the human camp, during which Roshan's mother is separated from the rest and jumps down a waterfall when cornered by Soto's lieutenant, Diego. For his failure, Diego is sent to find and retrieve the baby.
Later, Sid and Manny spot Roshan and his mother near the lake, having survived her plunge. The mother only has enough strength to trust her baby to Manny before she disappears. After much persuasion by Sid, they decide to return Roshan, but when they reach the human settlement, they find it deserted. They meet up with Diego, who convinces the pair to let him help by tracking the humans. The six travel on, with Diego secretly leading them to his pack for an ambush.
While having small adventures on their way, they reach a cave with several drawings made by humans. There Sid and Diego learn about Manny's past and his previous interactions with the human hunters, in which his wife and son were killed, leaving Manny a cynical loner. Later, Manny, Sid, Diego and Roshan almost reach Half-Peak but encounter a river of lava. Manny and Sid, along with Roshan, make it safely, but Diego struggles, about to fall into the lava. Manny rescues him, narrowly missing a fall into the lava himself. The herd takes a break for the night, and Roshan takes his first walking steps to Diego.
The next day, the herd approach the ambush, causing Diego to confess to Manny and Sid about the ambush, and he tells them to trust him. The herd battles Soto's pack, and a short fight ensues. As Soto closes in for the kill on Manny, Diego leaps and stops Soto, who wounds Diego in the process. Manny knocks Soto into a rock wall, causing several sharp icicles to fall on Soto, killing him. The rest of the pack then retreats. The group then mourns for the injury caused to Diego. Soon, Manny and Sid manage to return the baby to his tribe, and Diego rejoins them, as the group begins to head off to warmer climates.
20,000 years later, Scrat, frozen in the ice, ends up on the shores of a tropical island. When the ice slowly melts, the acorn is then washed away. He mistakenly triggers a volcanic eruption, while stomping the coconut into the ground.
|All spoilers have been stated and have ended here.|
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Adventure Ride
Cast[edit | edit source]
The characters are all prehistoric animals. The animals can talk to and understand each other and are voiced by a variety of famous actors. Like many films of prehistoric life, the rules of time periods apply very loosely, as many of the species shown in the film never actually lived in the same time periods or the same geographic regions.
- Ray Romano as Manfred "Manny", an angry and grumpy wholly mammoth that dosen't want to have any bond with anyone after a traumatic experience.
- Denis Leary as Diego, a sinister and threatening sabertooth tiger that pretends to help Manny and Sid to take the human baby back to his tribe while he actually plans to take the baby to his pack in order to kill him and have their revenge on the death of some of their pack members.
- John Leguizamo as Sid, a goofy and talkative ground sloth that has been abandoned by his own family and he's the one to create the trio in the first place having the idea to bring the baby back to his herd.
- Chris Wedge as Scrat, a crafty and down with luck sabertooth squirrel that constantly tries to hide his acorn for the winter only to lose it or finishing in some trouble every time. He dosen't follow Manny, Sid and Diego, instead he has his own adventure in a subplot with his scenes being a recall to the 90' cartoons of Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner.
- Goran Visnjic as Soto, an evil and murderous sabertooth tiger that is Diego's leader and the alpha of the pack and wants to kill the baby to have his revenge on the humans tribe after they killed some members of his pack.
- Jack Black as Zeke, a tiny and crazy sabertooth tiger that is a member of Soto's pack.
- Diedrich Bader as Oscar, an arrogant and snob sabertooth tiger that is a member of Soto's pack and Diego's rival.
- Alan Tudyk as Lenny, a fat stupid sabertooth tiger and a member of the Soto's pack.
- Cedric the Entertainer as Carl, a prepotent and murderous rhyno that wants to kill Sid because the latter accidentally ruined his salad. He's Frank's best friend.
- Stephen Root as Frank, a prepotent and murderous rhyno that wants to kill Sid after the latter accidentally ruined his salad. He's Carl's best friend.
- Jane Krakowski as Rachel, a sweet female ground sloth that Sid tries to conquer.
- Lorri Bagley as Jennifer, a fat yet nice female giant ground sloth.