Lady in the Lake is a 1947 American film noir that marked the directorial debut of Robert Montgomery, who also stars in the film and featuring Audrey Totter, Lloyd Nolan, Tom Tully, Leon Ames and Jayne Meadows.
Private eye Phillip Marlowe (Robert Montgomery) wants to get out of the detective racket and into crime writing. But when he's called to the office of editor Adrienne Fromsett (Audrey Totter), it's not to talk about his story ideas, she wants him to locate the missing wife of her boss, Mr. Kingsby (Leon Ames). The assignment quickly becomes complicated when bodies start turning up. This Raymond Chandler adaptation is notable for being filmed entirely from Marlowe's first-person perspective.
- Robert Montgomery as Phillip Marlowe
- Audrey Totter as Adrienne Fromsett
- Lloyd Nolan as Lt. DeGarmot
- Tom Tully as Capt. Kane
- Leon Ames as Derace Kingsby
- Jayne Meadows as Mildred Haviland
- Richard Simmons as Chris Lavery
- Morris Ankrum as Eugene Grayson
- Lila Leeds as Receptionist
- Robert Williams as Artist
- Kathleen Lockhart as Mrs. Grayson