Morgan Freeman (born June 1, 1937) is an actor, film director, and narrator. He is best known for his role in The Shawshank Redemption, Lucius Fox in Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises. He also played God in Bruce Almighty and Evan Almighty.
Early life[edit | edit source]
Morgan was born in June 1, 1937 in Memphis, Tennessee, to Mayme Edna (Revere), a teacher, and Morgan Porterfield Freeman, a barber. The young Freeman attended Los Angeles City College before serving several years in the US Air Force as a mechanic between 1955 and 1959. His first dramatic arts exposure was on the stage including appearing in an all-African American production of the exuberant musical Hello, Dolly!.
Filmography[edit | edit source]
- The Pawnbroker (1964) - Man on Street (uncredited)
- A Man Called Adam (1966) - Party Guest (uncredited)
- Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? (1968) - Grand Central Commuter
- Who Says I Can't Ride a Rainbow (1971) - Afro
- BruBaker (1980) - Walter
- Attica (1980) - Hap Richards
- Eyewitness (1981) - Lieutenant Black
- Teachers (1984) - Lewis
- Harry & Son (1984) - Siemanowski
- Marie (1985) - Charles Traughber
- That Was Then... This is Now (1985) - Charlie
- Street Smart (1987) - Craig