Paddington is a series of comedy films based on the character of the same name created by Michael Bond. The first film was released in 2014, featuring Ben Whishaw as the voice of the titular character, and an ensemble cast consisting mainly of British actors. The second film was released in 2017.
Films[edit | edit source]
Cast and characters[edit | edit source]
|Paddington Bear||Ben Whishaw|
|Henry Brown||Hugh Bonneville|
|Mary Brown||Sally Hawkins|
|Mrs. Bird||Julie Walters|
|Samuel Gruber||Jim Broadbent|
|Mr. Curry||Peter Capaldi|
|Jonathan Brown||Samuel Josline|
|Judy Brown||Madeleine Harris|
|Aunt Lucy||Imelda Staunton|
|Uncle Pastuzo||Michael Gambon|
|Millicent Clyde||Nicole Kidman|
|Montgomery Clyde||Tim Downie|
|Andre the Thief||Matt King|
|Phoenix Buchanan||Hugh Grant|
|Knuckles McGinty||Brendan Gleeson|
- Note: A dark grey cell indicates that the character doesn't appear in the film.
Production[edit | edit source]
The first film of the series was announced in September 2007, with David Heyman producing and Hamish McColl writing the screenplay. When filming began, Heyman announced the casting of Colin Firth as the voice of Paddington. Paddington is the most expensive film produced by the French production company StudioCanal.
In June 2014, after principal photography had wrapped, Firth voluntarily dropped out of the film, after the studio decided his voice was not suitable for Paddington. The role was recast the following month, with Ben Whishaw signing on to voice the title role. Paddington was created using a combination of computer-generated imagery (by the British company Framestore) and animatronics.
Crew[edit | edit source]
|Film||U.S. release date||Director||Producer||Writer(s)||Composer||Editor(s)||Cinematographer|
|Paddington||16 January 2015||Paul King||David Heyman||Story by: Paul King and Hamish McColl
Screenplay by: Paul King
|Nick Urata||Mark Everson||Erik Wilson|
|Paddington 2||12 January 2018||Paul King and Simon Farnaby||Dario Marianelli||Mark Everson and Jonathan Amos|
References[edit | edit source]
- Dawtrey, Adam (13 September 2007). WB bears down on 'Paddington' film. Retrieved on 4 February 2014.
- Decant, Charles (5 November 2012). "Paddington" : Canal+ va produire le film le plus cher de son histoire (in fr). ozap.com. Retrieved on 19 November 2014.
- 'Harry Potter' Producer David Heyman to Adapt 'Paddington Bear' (5 October 2012). Retrieved on 20 November 2014.
- 'Paddington': Potential Game-Changer For Studiocanal; Euro Major Bares Ambition (28 November 2014). Retrieved on 28 November 2014.
- Busis, Hillary (17 June 2014). Colin Firth leaving as voice of 'Paddington' movie. Retrieved on 17 June 2014.
- Bond, Michael. "Paddington Bear (helped by Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman) goes to Hollywood", 6 March 2014.
- Horwell, Veronica. "Michael Bond obituary", The Guardian, 28 June 2017. (in en-GB)