Pippi Longstocking is a 1997 animated musical comedy-adventure film co-directed by Michael Schaack & Clive A. Smith & written by Catharina Stackelberg, based on the book series by Astrid Lindgren, featuring the voices of Melissa Altro, Catherine O'Hara, Gordon Pinsent, Dave Thomas, Wayne Robson and Carole Pope.
| Spoiler warning: The following contains plot details about|
the entire movie.
The movie begins with Pippi sailing around the world with her father, Captain Efraim Longstocking, her pet horse, Horse, her pet monkey, Mr. Nilsson and various members of the ship's crew. One night during a hurricane, Pippi's father is washed over board into the sea and as he drifts off, he calls to Pippi that he will "meet her in Villa Villekulla".
To that effect, Pippi and her pet animals make their way home to Villa Villekulla to wait for him. Not long after arriving, she makes friends with the two children across the street: Tommy and Annika, who are captivated by her free spirit and fun-loving attitude. They soon convince Pippi to go to school (for the first time in her life) where she gets into trouble, despite winning the hearts of her classmates.
Pippi also soon attracts the attention of a local social worker, Mrs. Prysselius, who conspires to put her into foster care. When Miss Prysselius goes to speak with the local law enforcement of the need for Pippi to be placed in an orphanage and & lets certain details (her lack of adult supervision, living alone, having a large supply of gold coins kept out in the open, and most of all, leaving her door unlocked) be revealed to a pair of thieves already in jail.
The thieves, Bloom and Thunder-Karlsson, decide to rob Pippi themselves once they break out of jail. Pippi and her friends take part in many adventures and close-calls, winning over almost everyone (with the exception of Miss Prysselius and Tommy and Annika's parents).
Just when Miss Prysselius has had enough and is about to drag Pippi back to the children's home herself, Pippi's father returns to take her back to their life on the sea. However, Pippi decides that she can't leave her new friends behind and decides to stay in Villa Villekulla.
- Melissa Altro - Pippi Longstocking
- Richard Binsley - Mr. Nilsson/Dog
- Noah Reid - Tommy Settergren
- Olivia Garratt - Annika Settergren
- Judy Tate - Annika Settergren (Singing Voice)
- Gordon Pinsent - Captain Longstocking
- Chris Wiggins - Fridolf
- Philip Williams- Constable Klang/Ringmaster
- Rick Jones - Constable Kling/O'Malley
- Catherine O'Hara - Mrs. Prysselius
- Dave Thomas - Thunder-Karlsson
- Wayne Robson - Bloom
- Karen Bernstein - Mrs. Settergren
- Martin Lavut - Mr. Settergren
- Elva Mai Hoover - Mrs. Klang
- Mari Trainor - Mrs. Kling
- Melleny Brown - Snake Lady
- Howard Jerome - Adolph
- Carole Pope - Teacher
- "There's Magic Everywhere" - Pippi
- "Come and Be Happy" - Pippi
- "Recipe for Life" - Pippi, Tommy, and Annika
- "A Bowler and a New Gold Tooth" - Bloom and Thunder-Karlsson
- "Pluttifikation" - Teacher, Pippi, and Students
- "There's Magic Everywhere" (Reprise) - Pippi