Por Las Plumas (English title: "All About the Feathers") is a black comedy, released on September 6, 2013. It tells the story of Chalo, a lone security guard who acquires his first gamecock, but instead is unconsciously seeking a companion and discovers the bittersweet taste of friendship.
It is a comedy that tells the story of Chalo a lone security guard who wants a fighting cock. Once you get it, your life changes. Not having a good place to raise him and train him, a series of comic situations that will test the passion and love of Chalo by his new "friend" are triggered.After buying a fighting cock called Rocky, bored security guard Chalo gets mixed up in absurd but also awkward situations.
The cock's crowing is not appreciated at home, but even at a deserted industrial terrain problems arise. Cock fighting is an illegal but extremely popular pastime amongst Costa Rica's working class, and Chalo and his constant companion Rocky make new friends and allies all over.
With deadpan humour, “All About the Feathers” moves at a cracking pace as Chalo’s monotonous life grows increasingly colourful. It’s a polished and humorous look at regular folks trying to survive life today. The movie shows the romance of a security guard with a rooster and how working class people can support and build friendships in this civilized world by accepting each other for who we are.
- Marvin Acosta
- Allan Cascante
- Sylvia Sossa
- Erlan Vásquez
Por Las Plumas was written and directed by Neto Villalobos and was filmed on Costa Rica. A majority of the financial backing necessary to make the film was obtained from traditional sources within Costa Rica and overseas, but the remaining money needed for the budget was obtained via crowdsourcing on Indiegogo.
- Buenos Aires Ciudad, Buenos Aires Lab, Argentina in Cannes 2013:
Five works in progress selected at the Buenos Aires Lab (BAL), BAFICI’s Latin American co-production market, which celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2013, was showned at the Marché du Film of the Cannes Film Festival, held in the French Riviera. They are Algunas chicas, by Santiago Palavecino (Argentina); Depois da chuva, by Claudio Marques and Marília Hughes (Brazil); La Once, by Maite Alberdi (Chile); Por las plumas, by Neto Villalobos (Costa Rica); and Reimon, by Rodrigo Moreno (Argentina), selected to participate in the first collaboration of this kind with the prestigious international film market that runs in parallel with the famous festival. In this way, BAL consolidates itself as a “key place for Latin American projects,” according to BAFICI Artistic Director Marcelo Panozzo. “The Festival is comprehensively supported by its films: the movies screened and those that are not yet finished, which are at the shooting or editing stage, which are a script or an idea,” he added.
- The first feature film by Costa Rica and Neto Villalobos Director, will participate in the category "Discovery" http://www.crhoy.com/comienza-festival-de-cine-de-toronto-donde-participa-filme-tico-por-las-plumas/
- Costa Rican film opens in Canada http://www.crhoy.com/pelicula-costarricense-se-estrenara-en-canada/
- WORLD PREMIER OF FEATHERS IN TORONTO http://www.cinergia.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=289&Itemid=6
- Premier Costa Rican film "Of Feathers" is now in Canada http://www.teletica.com/Entretenimiento/23899-Premier-de-pelicula-costarricense-Por-las-Plumas-sera-hoy-en-Canada.note.aspx
- Starts Toronto Film Festival where the film participates tico "By feathers" http://www.crhoy.com/comienza-festival-de-cine-de-toronto-donde-participa-filme-tico-por-las-plumas/
- Film by the feather flew to Toronto festival http://periodico.nacion.com/doc/nacion/viva-21agosto2013/2013082101/7.html#7
September 6, 2013 - Toronto International Film Festival http://tiff.net/
October 5, 2013 - Vancouver International Film Festival http://viff.org/
- HBO buys rights of national film "Of Feathers" http://www.delefoco.com/Default.aspx?action=news-view&id=2936
- By feathers and home opens in 2014 in the U.S. On HBO http://www.culturacr.net/13/09/Por-las-plumas-se-estrena-en-casa-y-en-el-2014-hacia-el-mundo-por-HBO.html#.Ut4ryqu6bIU
- Spain: September 20, 2013 - San Sebastián Film Festival,http://www.sansebastianfestival.com/in/
- Guatemala: October 22, 2013 - Icarus Festival: "Of Feathers" is awarded as best film http://www.caaci.int/noticias/festival-icaro-por-las-plumas-es-premiada-como-mejor-pelicula http://www.nacion.com/ocio/cine/Festival_Icaro_Centroamericano-Por_las_plumas-Puerto_Padre-Princesas_Rojas-Neto_Villalobos_0_1379662207.html
- Stockholm Film Festival, Sweden, Nov 6 to Nov 17 2013 http://www.stockholmfilmfestival.se/en/festival/2013/program/day/2013-11-06
- Cuba, THE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF THE NEW LATIN AMERICAN CINEMA (5 Dec-15 Dec 2013) http://www.habanafilmfestival.com/sidemenu/index.php?rcdid=308
- IFFK 18th Dec 2013 Curated Section- http://www.iffk.in/index.php?page=curatedsections_13
- International Film Festival Geneva, Jan 17 to Jan 27 2014, http://blackmovie.ch/2014
- Film Festival at Rotterdam in the Netherlands- 22 January-2 February 2014 (http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/en/films/por-las-plumas/)
- Festival Internacional de Cine Independiente de Geneva: http://blackmovie.ch/2014/
- Feb 25-28,2014, http://www.veritas.cr/blog/fabian-wagmister-de-la-facultad-de-cine-de-la-ucla-inaugura-la-semana-de-cine-nacional-de-la-nectv/
Fabian Wagmister Faculty UCLA Film Week opens National Cinema NECTV by Veritas University. This Friday (28) February all invitees to watch free on the feathers in Veritas University at 7pm. There will also be the film crew and actors to answer and discuss your concerns. • February 28, 2014
- March 7-16, 2014 at 31 Miami International Film Festival, http://www.miamifilmfestival.com/
- April 3-9, 2014 The International Film Festival of Panama, http://www.latamcinema.com/noticia.php?id=5838
The event will take place from 3 to 9 April 2014, a week in which Panama will be the capital of Latin American cinema with the holding of the first edition of the Latin American co-production market and delivering meets Platinum Awards, awards that recognize the best.
- Three Costa Rican films shortlisted in Platinum Awards 13 March 2014 http://www.delefoco.com/Default.aspx?action=news-view&id=3215
- March 20-28, 2014 "About the Feathers" will go to France http://www.cinelatino.com.fr/film/por-las-plumas
"Por Las Plumas" is in the official jurisdiction of the Cinelatino Rencontres de Toulouse.
- All About the Feathers (Por Las Plumas) is participating in the Cleveland International Film Festival (March 11-30) 2014 http://www.clevelandfilm.org/films/2014/all-about-the-feathers
- Podle Peří" is known as "All About the Feathers" (Por Las Plumas) in Czech. And we are happy to be part of the 21st International Festival of Prague! 20-28 March, 2014 http://www.febiofest.cz/en
- Top directors covet slot at 31 Miami International Film Festival March 6 2014 http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/06/3978878/top-directors-covet-slot-at-miami.html
31 Miami International Film Festival Miami screening of "Por Las Plumas" on 03/14/2014 at the Regal South Beach Cinemas, Miami.
- German premiere of "Por Las Plumas" (All About the Feathers) on the Lichter / Filmfest Frankfurt International! 25-30 March 2014 http://www.lichter-filmfest.de/de/programm/timetable/programmansicht-2014.html?film_id=346
- http://www.cinelatino.com.fr/ Several films from Central America and Cuba will be displayed in different sections of the 26th International Latino Film Festival Toulouse - Toulouse Rencontres CineLatino to be held in that city in southern France from 20 to 30 March 2014.
In the main competition for feature films Costa Rican film appears on the feathers , Net Villalobos of "Por las Plumas", along with 13 other films from Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico and Colombia. Apart from Toulouse, coming on the feathers will also be present at festivals in Prague, Cleveland, Curacao, Buenos Aires and BAFICI IFF Panama.
- http://www.nacion.com/ocio/cine/cine-hace-solo-FIA_0_1405259470.html Until Sunday, April 13, 2014, the amphitheater of the National Cultural Centre (Cenac) and season of the Cultural Center of Spain in La Sabana. Full film program at the site.
- www.festivaldelasartes.go.cr. Variety film in two venues, the International Festival of Arts will shelter a tantalizing sample of domestic and foreign films
- CENTRAL AMERICAN AND CUBAN CINEMA IN TOULOUSE Wednesday, March 19, 2014 The film on the feathers and documentary New Island will be displayed in different sections of the 26th Rencontres de Toulouse CineLatino Festival to be held in that city in southern France from 20 to 30 March 2014. http://www.cinergia.org/
In the main competition for feature films Costa Rica appears on the feathers , Net Villalobos, along with 13 other films from Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico and Colombia. Apart from Toulouse, the film soon will also be present at festivals in Prague, Cleveland, Curacao, Buenos Aires and BAFICI IFF Panama.
- "Por Las Plumas" is participating in "The 16th Buenos Aires International Independent Film Festival" (BAFICI), organized by the Ministry of Culture of the City of Buenos Aires, will take place between 2 and 13 April 2014. http://festivales.buenosaires.gob.ar/bafici/es/ficha/343/Por-las-plumas Cinelatino in
- Toulouse - The rooster feathers
- NetoVillalobos http://www.universcine.com/frontend_debug.php/articles/cinelatino-a-toulouse-les-plumes-du-coq-de-neto-villalobos
First feature film came from Costa Rica, nice surprise. Neto Villalobos waited seven years, we-he says, before embarking on the adventure of Por las plumas, a deadpan comedy laugh
- "Por Las Plumas" is participating in Buenos Aires, Argentina, During (April 2-13), 2014 http://festivales.buenosaires.gob.ar/bafici/es/ficha/343/Por-las-plumas
- "Por Las Plumas" is participating in SFIFF 2014. The crown jewel of the Film Society's exhibition program is the San Francisco International Film Festival (April 24-May 8, 2014), the longest-running film festival in the Americas and a beloved showcase of cinematic discovery. An essential stop on the international film festival circuit, SFIFF is well regarded as a significant celebration of world cinema in one of the country's most beautiful cities. SFIFF56 featured 263 screenings of 158 films from 51 countries, which were attended by over 210 filmmakers and industry guests from over 21 countries around the globe.
- "Por Las Plumas" is participating in The International Film Festival of Panama (IFF Panama) will hold its third edition from April 3rd to April 9th, 2014. The Festival will take place at the Casco Viejo, the historic district of Panama City, and the Cinepolis complex at Multiplaza Mall.IFF Panama is sponsored primarily by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of Panama (MICI) and its Panama Film Commission. It is also sponsored by private funding, including Copa Airlines and Grolsch, with the support of the National Institute of Culture (INAC), the Panama Tourism Authority (ATP) and the Office of the Mayor of Panama (Alcaldía de Panamá). http://www.iffpanama.org/en/movies/all-about-feathers
- It was in 1989 when the Ministry of Culture and Youth organized first International Theatre Festival "San José Peace", with unprecedented success, emerging from there, the idea of creating a permanent space and sustainable that was constant through the years, allowing the match with Costa Rica's public high artistic quality shows both nationally and internationally. In 1992 the Ministry of Culture and Youth manages to make this great activity will become an ongoing project under the name "Festival of Arts". Since then San Jose and other provincial offices in Costa Rica have been the focus of presentation and meeting featured artists and groups. We are part of the International Festival of Arts (3 to 13 April 2014) http://www.festivaldelasartes.go.cr/evento/neto-villalobos-por-las-plumas-costa-rica
- All About the Feathers (Por Las Plumas) is participating in the The 57 Annual San Francisco Film Festival beginning on April 24 to May 8 2014, http://www.sffs.org/festival-home/attend/film-guide/all-about-the-feathers#.U1a3vlWSzow
Spotlight on Latin American Filmmakers
- SFIFF57's World Cinema Spotlight is on New Voices in Latin American Cinema. Hailing from Argentina, Mexico, Uruguay, Venezuela, and Costa Rica (a SFIFF first!), these films pit the personal against the political. They show the human side of cockfighting, measure the economic and personal repercussions of a 10-year-old’s desire to straighten his hair, and explore the tension between a young man’s revolutionary ideals and the interests of his family business. Here’s a peek at the great films coming to this year’s festival from south of the border. http://www.sffs.org/
On Sunday the 27 April 2014 we will have free screening of” About the Feathers” in Multiplaza Escazu Costa Rica at 4:00 pm, followed by a short session of questions and answers with some of the principal cast and crew. Buena activity Sunday, hope to see you there!
* It is all about the Latin Wave 9 ("Por Las Plumas") will be screened on April 29 to May 4 2014. However these days we are participating together for 9 wonderful films in The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (TX) USA.
The San Francisco International Film Festival is in full swing upto April 24 to 8 May 2014. Amongst the more than 150 movies that will screen this year are several must-see Latino films at SFIFF. Ernesto “Neto” Villalobos was in town to present his film "Por las plumas" (All About the Feathers), the first Costa Rican production to screen at SFIFF in its 57-year history. http://www.remezcla.com/2014/latin/ernesto-villalobos-director-costa-rica-por-las-plumas/
The Film Society Welcomes 15th Latin beat series in July 2014 All About the Feathers / Por las plumas, Neto Villalobos, Costa Rica, 2013, DCP, 85m Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:30pm "http://www.filmlinc.com/daily/entry/lainbeat-movies-the-film-society-of-lincoln-center-2014
"Anyone who’s been to Costa Rica will recognize pura vida in this sweet, lighthearted comedy about four Ticos who become fast friends and business partners in the cockfighting business.
5 New Faces of Independent Film That Filmmaker Magazine Missed
Travelling Film Festival held its third edition this year in 2014. The tour will be headlined by national films "Puerto Padre" Gustavo Fallas and "By Por Las Plumes" Net Villalobos. The international surprise given the film "Marley" by Kevin Macdonald, work that chronicles the life of legendary musician Bob Marley and reaches our screens thanks to the local independent distributor Pacific Grey.
"FICS" 6th International Film Festival of Santander,Colombia
Monday 4 to Saturday 9 August 2014
The 6th International Film Festival of Santander, Bucaramanga, flood cinematic from Monday 4 to Saturday, August 9, centered spaces Multiplex Cinema Cacique Colombia and Convention Center Neomundo.(http://www.nuestrofics.com/)
(8-16 Aug) in Festival de Lima PUCP, Peru 2014 http://www.festivaldelima.com/2014/pelicula/por-las-plumas/
(3-10 Sept) will be participating in Sydney Latino Film Festival, Sydney, Australia. All about the Feathers "Por Las Plumas" will be screened on Friday 5th September | 7pm, Event Cinemas George St Sydney http://www.sydneylatinofilmfestival.org/all-about-the-feathers/
Celebrating its 25th edition, the AFI Latin American Film Festival showcases the best in cinema from Latin America with the inclusion of films from Spain and Portugal.
American Film Institute's Latin American Festival September 18- October 8, 2014 -Highlights of the festival include a FREE sneak preview of animated adventure THE BOOK OF LIFE, produced by Guillermo del Toro; Argentine thriller 7TH FLOOR, starring Ricardo Darín; PARADISE, a light-hearted rom-com about weight loss from Mexico's Mariana Chenillo (NORA'S WILL); TO KILL A MAN, winner of the Grand Jury Prize in the World Cinema Competition at the Sundance Film Festival; Spanish filmmaker David Trueba's LIVING IS EASY WITH EYES CLOSED, winner of six Goya Awards; Brazilian animated fantasy THE BOY AND THE WORLD, awarded the top prize at this year's Annecy Animated Film Festival; Chile's ILLITERATE, starring Paulina García (GLORIA); Costa Rica's deadpan cockfighting comedy ALL ABOUT THE FEATHERS; the US premiere of Colombia's GENTE DE BIEN, straight from its debut at the Cannes Film Festival; and the world premiere of THE CROW'S NEST, the first narrative feature from El Salvador in more than 40 years. http://afi.com/Silver/laff/
Who walk today by the international fair of the book Costa Rica? This cock is there today at 7:00 pm on 27 Aug 2014, at the Theatre de La Aduana Costa Rica. Free entrance. (Feria Internacional Del Libro Costa Rica?)
We look forward to see them!
* In Por Las Plumas (About the Feathers) Chalo, Jason and his friends will be at the Trinidad & Tobago Film Festival, so invite your friends or family! 199 Belmont Circular Road, Port of Spain, Trinidad+Tobago http://www.ttfilmfestival.com/2014/09/film-focus-difret/ September 16-30, 2014.
— Marvin Acosta, the slight and wispy star of Neto Villalobos’s highly acclaimed movie “Por la Plumas,” died Saturday night of leptospirosis in San Juan de Dios Hospital in San Jose.
I am deeply saddened by the passing away of Marvin. We'll always remember Marvin and feel lucky that we had the pleasure of knowing him through the movie Por Las Plumas. He was a wonderful actor and a simple human being. He will be greatly missed. May his soul RIP : Raj Kosaraju
- Winner: 2013 Icarus Film Festival, Guatemala – Best Film & Best Director
- Winner: 2014 Miami Film Festival – Miami Encuentros Award
- Best Film, October 22, 2013: Icarus Film Festival, Guatemala
- Best Director Neto Villabolos Icarus Film Festival, Guatemala