She Creature (originally titled Mermaid Chronicles Part 1: She Creature) is a 2001 television film starring Rufus Sewell, Carla Gugino and Rya Kihlstedt and directed by Sebastian Gutierrez. It is the first in a series of films made for Cinemax paying tribute to the films of American International Pictures. The films in this tribute series reused the titles of old American International Pictures films, but are not remakes of the earlier films.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Circa 1900, in Ireland, two carnies, Angus Shaw (Rufus Sewell) and his wife Lillian (Carla Gugino), abduct a mermaid (Rya Kihlstedt) and try to smuggle her into the United States. As their ship appears to lose its way, the mermaid begins to show a deadly, carnivorous side.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Rufus Sewell as Angus Shaw
- Carla Gugino as Lillian "Lily" Shaw
- Jim Piddock as Captain Dunn
- Reno Wilson as Bailey
- Mark Aiken as Gifford
- Fintan McKeown as Skelly
- Aubrey Morris as Mr. Woolrich
- Gil Bellows as Miles
- Rya Kihlstedt as Mermaid
- Hannah Sim as Queen of the Lair
- Jon Sklaroff as Russian Eddie
- David Nott as Cook
- Dan Hildebrand as Christian
- Preston Maybank as Navy Captain
- Brian Sieve as Officer Dixon
- Matthew Roseman as Officer Jenkins
- Gabriel Gutierrez as Young O'Donnell
- Isabella Gutierrez as Miranda
Awards and nominations[edit | edit source]
- Saturn Award (Best Single Television Presentation).
- Hollywood Makeup Artists and Hair Stylist Guild Award (Best Special Makeup Effects - Television Mini-Series/Movies of the Week).
Motion picture rating[edit | edit source]
Rated R for sexuality, nudity and some violence.
Reception[edit | edit source]
She Creature has been met with negative reviews. The film currently holds a rating of 20% on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- We don't see this until the ship runs aground at the mer-people's breeding ground, but her name, painted on a wooden plaque, is "Marie Celeste".
- Christopher Lee was offered the cameo role of Mr Woolrich.
- This film was shot in 18 days.
- Rya Kihlstedt spent three hours in make-up a day so she could portray the mermaid.
- The name and basic plot of this movie was integrated into a season 5 episode of the adult swim cartoon Aqua Teen Hunger Force.