Shutter Island is a 2010 American post-apocalyptic psychological horror thriller film written by Laeta Kalogridis and directed by Martin Scorsese. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio and also starring Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams, Emily Mortimer, Patricia Clarkson and Max von Sydow.
The film is based on Dennis Lehane's 2003 novel of the same name.
In 1954, two U.S. marshals (Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo) investigate the disappearance of a patient from a psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane on an island in a rural Massachusetts. They run into trouble when they are deceived by the hospital's crew chief administrator, a natural disaster hits and an inmate riot traps them on the shutter-looking island.
- Leonardo DiCaprio as Teddy Daniels, a U.S. marshal investigating the disappearance
- Mark Ruffalo as Chuck Aule, a U.S. marshal and Teddy's partner
- Ben Kingsley as the hospital's crew chief physician, Dr. John Cawley
- Michelle Williams as Daniels' ex-wife
- Emily Mortimer as the escaped patient Rachel Solando
- Max von Sydow as Dr. Jeremiah Naering, one of the hospital's physicians
- Jackie Earle Haley as George Noyce
- Ted Levine as the Jail Warden of the Hospital
- John Carroll Lynch as McPherson, a security guard at the Hospital
- Elias Koteas as Andrew Laeddis
- Patricia Clarkson as Ethel Barton
- Ruby Jerins as Little Girl
- Robin Bartlett as Bridget Kearns
- Christopher Denham as Peter Breene