It based on the 1954 play of the same name by Maxwell Anderson, which in turn is based upon William March's 1954 novel, also the same name.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Air Force Colonel Kenneth Penmark (William Hopper) and his wife, Christine (Nancy Kelly), dote on their pig-tailed daughter, Rhoda (Patty McCormack), as does their lonely landlady, Monica Breedlove (Evelyn Varden). But self-centered Rhoda has a secret tendency for selfishness and loves to accumulate gifts, whether given or stolen, in her room. Christine keeps her knowledge of her daughter's darker side to herself, but when a schoolmate of Rhoda's dies mysteriously, her self-deception unravels.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Nancy Kelly as Christine Penmark
- Patty McCormack as Rhoda Penmark
- Henry Jones as Leroy Jessup
- Eileen Heckart as Hortense Daigle
- Evelyn Varden as Monica Breedlove
- William Hopper as Col. Kenneth Penmark
- Paul Fix as Richard Bravo
- Jesse White as Emory Wages
- Gage Clarke as Reginald 'Reggie' Tasker
- Joan Croydon as Claudia Fern (as Joan Croyden)
- Frank Cady as Henry Daigle
- Don C. Harvey as Guard in Hospital Corridor (uncredited)