The Big Short is a 2015 American biographical comedy-drama film written and directed by Adam McKay. It is based on the 2010 book of the same name by Michael Lewis. It stars Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, and Brad Pitt. It was released on December 11, 2015, by Paramount Pictures.
When four outsiders saw what the big banks, media and government refused to, the global collapse of the economy, they had an idea: The Big Short. Their bold investment leads them into the dark underbelly of modern banking where they must question everyone and everything.
- Christian Bale as Michael Burry
- Steve Carell as Mark Baum (based on Steve Eisman)
- Ryan Gosling as Jared Vennett (based on Greg Lippmann)
- Brad Pitt as Ben Rickert (based on Ben Hockett)
- Karen Gillan as Evie
- Melissa Leo as Georgia Hale
- Marisa Tomei as Cynthia Baum (based on Valerie Feigen)
- Tracy Letts as Lawrence Fields
- Hamish Linklater as Porter Collins
- John Magaro as Charlie Geller
- Stanley Wong as Ted Jiang
- Byron Mann as Wing Chau
- Rafe Spall as Danny Moses
- Jeremy Strong as Vinny Daniel
- Finn Wittrock as Jamie Shipley
- Max Greenfield
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 92%, based on 12 reviews, with an average rating of 7.7/10. On Metacritic, the film has a score of 72 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews"