It is adapted by Nelson Gidding from the 1959 novel The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Dr. John Markway (Richard Johnson), an anthropologist with an interest in psychic phenomena, takes two specially selected women to Hill House, a reportedly haunted mansion. Eleanor (Julie Harris), a lonely, eccentric woman with a supernatural event in her past, and the bold Theodora (Claire Bloom), who has ESP, join John and the mansion's heir, cynical Luke (Russ Tamblyn). They are immediately overwhelmed by strange sounds and events, and Eleanor comes to believe the house is alive and speaking directly to her.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Julie Harris as Eleanor "Nell" Lance
- Claire Bloom as Theodora "Theo"
- Richard Johnson as Dr. John Markway
- Russ Tamblyn as Luke Sanderson
- Fay Compton as Mrs. Sanderson
- Rosalie Crutchley as Mrs. Dudley
- Lois Maxwell as Grace Markway
- Valentine Dyall as Mr. Dudley
- Diane Clare as Carrie Fredericks
- Ronald Adam as Eldridge Harper