Unhinged is a 2020 film directed by Derrick Borte, starring Russell Crowe, Caren Pistorius, Jimmi Simpson, and Gabriel Bateman and Austin P. McKenzie. It tells the story of a young woman who is terrorized by a seemingly unstable stranger following a road rage incident.
Unhinged was theatrically released by Solstice Studios in Germany on July 16, 2020, and in the United States on August 21, 2020. The film was notable for being the first wide theatrical release in several months due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and has grossed $27 million worldwide. It received mixed reviews from critics, who praised Crowe's performance but felt the film did not take full advantage of its premise.
Tom Cooper, a mentally unstable man invades the home of his ex-wife and kills her and her boyfriend before setting the house on fire and drives away as the house explodes.
Rachel Hunter, a newly-divorced single mother living in New Orleans, drives her 15-year-old son Kyle to school. While driving, Rachel gets stuck in rush hour traffic, and honks at a pickup truck that has failed to go after the light has turned green. The owner of the truck, Cooper, soon catches up to Rachel and demands an apology. The exchange escalates and a chase ensues before Rachel loses the man and is able to drop Kyle off at school.
Cooper tracks her to a gas station and steals her phone while she is inside. A frightened Rachel gets help from a customer who accompanies her back to her car but Cooper rams him with his truck and pursues Rachel in another chase before she is able to lose him again. When Rachel tries to contact her friend Andy, a divorce lawyer, for help, she finds that Cooper used the daily planner in her phone to locate Andy and brutally killed him in the diner where they were supposed to meet. Cooper continues to stalk and harass Rachel. He attacks her brother Fred in his house and kills Fred's fiancé, Mary. Cooper then sets Fred on fire just as police arrive at the house. They manage to shoot Cooper in the shoulder but he still escapes. Cooper then catches up with Rachel again on a highway.
Rachel and Kyle are pursued to her mother's old house, where Kyle hides inside. Cooper attacks Rachel in the driveway and goes into the house to find Kyle. As Cooper attempts to strangle Kyle, Rachel picks up a pair of scissors and stabs him in the eye, killing him. Rachel finds out that Fred had survived the attack and was in the hospital. After providing statements to the police, Rachel and Kyle leave to go and see Fred. As they drive away, a car cuts across Rachel and she almost honks her horn at the driver, but decides against it after what they have been through, to which Kyle simply responds, "Good choice."
- Russell Crowe as The Man
- Caren Pistorius as Rachel
- Jimmi Simpson as Andy
- Gabriel Bateman as Kyle
- Anne Leighton as Deborah Haskell
- Michael Papajohn as Cop
- Lucy Faust as Rosie
- Austin P. McKenzie as Fred
- Devyn A. Tyler as Mrs. Ayers
Filming for the film took place in Summer of 2019 in Kenner and New Orleans, Louisiana, wrapping in August.
The film was originally scheduled to be released on August 28, 2020, before being pushed back to September 4, 2020, In May 2020, its release was moved up to July 1, 2020, in order to "likely be the first to test the waters as theaters try to rebound" from the COVID-19 pandemic. The date was later pushed back to July 10, then July 31, and, on July 23, the film was again delayed, this time to August 21, 2020. Having held that date, it became the first new film to be widely released in US theaters after the closure of theaters amidst the pandemic.
- UNHINGED (15). British Board of Film Classification (July 2, 2020).
- Fleming Jr., Mike (May 12, 2020). Solstice Studios' Russell Crowe Road Rage Thriller 'Unhinged' To Be First Film Back In Movie Theaters July 1. Deadline Hollywood.
- Unhinged (2020). Box Office Mojo.
- Unhinged (2020) - Financial Information.
- Squires, John (September 16, 2019). Russell Crowe-Starring Road Rage Thriller 'Unhinged' Speeding Our Way Summer 2020. Retrieved on May 24, 2020.
- Fleming Jr., Mike. "Shari Hardison Named Solstice Studios Head Of U.S. Distribution; Russell Crowe Road Rage Thriller 'Unhinged' Set As First Release For August 28, 2020", September 12, 2019. Retrieved on May 24, 2020.
- ‘Unhinged’ Sets August Release In Wake Of ‘Tenet’s Labor Day Weekend Plan. Deadline Hollywood (July 27, 2020).
- Tartaglione, Nancy (June 23, 2020). 'Unhinged': Russell Crowe Road Rage Pic Gears Up For Global Release As Cinemas Re-Open. Deadline Hollywood.